#AtoZchallenge V is for Vacations

A to Z Challenge 2020

Things to be Grateful For













is for Vacations




Many people have missed or will soon miss their vacation this year. but I am sure they are thinking about future trips and looking back to holidays in the past.

As a child all my vacations were spent on the west coast of Scotland. I would play with my cousins on their farm, see many relations, enjoy the best ice cream in Britain and superb fish and chips and go up to Glasgow to visit the Kelvin Art Gallery and Museum. One painting which I always wanted to visit first was Christ of St John on the Cross by Salvador Dali


Eventually, at the age of 11, I took my first trip abroad, flying to Dusseldorf on my own to stay with family friends.


After that I enjoyed a holiday with my family touring Cornwall. Visiting Tintagel sparked my interest in the stories of King Arthur and Merlin


By the time I was 15 we moved to the Far East travelling by sea through the Suez canal to reach Singapore.  The voyage was of course an incredible vacation stopping off briefly at Port Said, Aden, Ceylon and the malay Peninsula.


Our journey home to Britain from Singapore, three years later, was via Perth, Western Australia, South Africa, Tenerife and Lisbon.

Cape Town

As an adult I explored more of Europe, usually camping, in France, Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands. 

Saumur

In the last ten years I have cruised to Madeira and the Canary Islands and also along many of the Norwegian fjords 

Madeira

Flåm
And now I am missing our drive through Spain and a long stay in Portugal

Salamanca

Faro

Where would you like to be spending your vacation now?

5 comments:

  1. I love to travel, in France for visiting friends and family, but also outside. So many beautiful places and people to meet! Well of course it would be for later ;)
    V is for Visual Texture

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have seen a lot of the world. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be vacationing at the sea shore if I could be vacationing somewhere right now. We had planned to be at a cabin on the inter-coastal waterways during April. But happy to be healthy!

    Finding Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  4. My last international business trip was to Singapore. Very Asian, but very British, too. It was an interesting experience...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singapore has changed a great deal over the years but this essential blend of Asian-British culture still remains. https://somerville66.blogspot.com/2016/01/a-visit-to-chinatown-in-singapore.html

      Delete