#AtoZ Challenge N is for Neighbourhood


A to Z Challenge 2020

Things to be Grateful for











Is for Neighbourhood



I have lived in several different neighbourhoods. As a baby I was in rural Scotland, on a farm where the nearest neighbours were relations, so you knew there was someone to depend upon.



In contrast my next neighbourhood was a street in south London. There we had milk and bread delivered, one by a horse drawn vehicle. Each night the gas streetlights were hand lit (this was the 1950s). I was not quite three when there was a street party for the Coronation. A rag and bone man and a knife sharpener arrived regularly but nobody had a car to park outside our terraced houses. School and shops were a short walk away and there were red trolley buses to go further afield.



At the age of 10, I moved down to Dorset to live by the sea. Our bungalow was on a promontory out to sea, directly opposite a pub. There was an overgrown garden park at the end of the road with good views of the harbour.  One of our older neighbours had been in China during the Boxer Rebellion and showed me photographs of people he met there.



My next neighbourhood was a remote spot in the Yorkshire Dales. In winter we were sometimes cut off by snow and all my friends lived miles away so long phone calls were necessary.

After time living abroad then at University, I lived in four shared flats in turn with other young people including air stewardesses and members of a pop group. We rarely had any contact with our neighbours.

 Once married I moved to a Surrey village where our social life centred on the pub by the river, the useful local shop and the laundrette. We had friends of all ages in a great community.  

I have written about my current neighbours during our time of isolation here

5 comments:

  1. Neighbourhood is such in important thing now, during the lockdown. Stay safe
    N is for Nature

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to read about the different neighbourhoods you've lived in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting reading about your neighbourhoods. When I was young everybody knew everybody. Now people move so often you get to know very few neighbours. which is sad.
    Thanks for dropping by my N post.

    Suzy Someday Somewhere Letter O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you've been all over and that you've finally found your "neighborhood." Passing through from the A to Z Challenge. If you need anything, let me know.

    John Holton

    ReplyDelete
  5. So manyenvironments each providing a different experience for you.

    ReplyDelete