Family weddings in the 20th century #fashion


In every family photo collection you will find wedding photographs.  I have been looking through my family's photos and am intrigued by the different fashions.  The picture above is my parents' wedding in Scotland in 1948.  It was June but it was wet and windy. I vividly remember my grandma's fox fur falling out of the top shelf in the wardrobe and being scared of the beady glass eyes.

When Grandma married in 1912, she and her mother sailed across the Atlantic to Montreal where my Grandpa was working as an architect.  There are no photographs of them together but this one shows her in a nearby park, after a very small wedding.


Five years later my husband's grandfather used his army leave to marry in September 1917.  I am still trying to identify the regiment of Wilf's army uniform.


My father had the pleasure of being chosen as a pageboy at his older cousin's wedding at St George's Hanover Square in 1927.


Sitting on the floor with a pudding basin haircut he doesn't look very happy.

There is a gap in years in our family until my wedding.


So here I am on a November evening in 1975 with my matron of honour, Jane. My mother crocheted my dress with a pattern from a womans' magazine and Jane bought the blue material to make her dress in Libertys in Regent Street. We both wore silver shoes with high heels.

I will conclude with a group picture from my parents wedding in 1948




5 comments:

  1. Such precious pictures. Nothing sums up an era better than a wedding photograph!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz, excited to note you have a few Canadians in your family history! BTW did you notice that you wrote that your husband's grandfather married in 2017? Lol. Love your posts they seem to parallel the topics I'm interested in. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete