The Isle of Man #MondayBlogs #Photographs

When my children were young we visited the Isle of Man regularly so that they could see their grandparents.  We were rarely lucky with the weather but there were always beautiful places to see.

The Calf of Man at the south-east point of the island, a great spot for bird watching.
 


The Point of Ayre in the far north, the only flat part of the island
 

Ramsay, a popular place in Edwardian times, on the north-east coast facing the Lake District


Looking towards Milner's Tower from Port Erin, a lovely spot on the south-west coast



The Tower of Refuge 
 
If you sail into Douglas on a ferry you will see this tiny castle on a rock at the harbour entrance.  In 1830 Sir William Hillary, who started the RNLI, commanded a lifeboat which rescued the crew of the packet boat St George foundering on the rock.  Afterwards Hillary raised money to build the Tower of Refuge on that rock.

Peel at the centre of the west coast facing Northern Ireland

Peel castle and the ruins of St German's Cathedral on St Patrick's Isle
St Patrick's Isle is the site of a ruined Celtic Monastery, Viking burials and a 15th century prison.

The remains of St Peter's church, Peel which was badly burnt in 1958

And this hasn't shown you any of the glens or mountains in the centre of the island.

2 comments:

  1. It's many years since I visited the Isle of Man. I went twice for work - setting up an Oxfam shop in Douglas. The first time I went by ferry, the second time I flew and my ears would not pop after the flght, which was very annoying. I remember being driven over a bridge where I was told I had to greet the fairies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, you must say hello to the Fairies as you drive south from Douglas or you will have bad luck.

    ReplyDelete