#AtoZChallenge H is for Hampton Court

A to Z Challenge 2020

Things to be Grateful for







is for Hampton Court




Most of my life I have either lived near to, or regularly visited Hampton Court Palace on the River Thames.  I enjoyed being lost in the maze as a child, my interest in Tudor History started in the State Apartments and as soon as I started teaching I began to take Year 5 classes to visit the Palace. When my daughter was born I regularly walked her round the formal gardens in her pram and latterly I have frequently visited the Hampton Court Flower Show organised by the Royal Horticultural Society.


As well as the architecture there many symbols in stone, glass and wood to spot.


On the ceilings in the Great Hall and under the Gateway you can see Henry VIII's initial entwined in that of Anne Boleyn.


You will find tudor roses, fleurs de lys, portcullis, cardinals’ hats, falcons etc.


And outside are Heraldic Beasts



The gardens are green and peaceful





And in July they are crowded with colour and design, but sadly not this year.


And I didn't even mention the paintings!

1 comment:

  1. That ceiling looks amazing, and the grounds are splendid. I've not visited Hampton Court for years and years. I'm going to put it on my list of places to visit - once we're all back to normal.

    ReplyDelete