1966 and all that: Music and films

1966 was a year of great change for me. In January I was living in the middle of nowhere in the Yorkshire Dales. By August I was in Singapore having the time of my life.

When you are 15 and all your friends are miles away, you depend on TV and radio. On the radio it was Radio Caroline, on TV, Top of The Pops and best of all, Ready Steady Go.


I don't remember hearing them sing together but I certainly bought records by both acts.


The Rolling Stones were frequently on Ready Steady Go presented by Cathy McGowan but my best memory of the Hollies was when they all gave me their autographs after their concert in Weymouth.



Even today "These Boots were made for walking" is played.


I'm not sure this skirt did anything for Lulu.

In Singapore we didn't have a TV but we went to the British Army cinema 3 times a week. 


Elvis was singing in his 22nd film, California Holiday.


Robert Vaughn and David McCallum had taken my favourite TV programme "The Man from Uncle" into the film studio.  I wonder if Ducky from NCIS looks back fondly on those days.


Robert Redford was amazing as the fugitive in "The Chase" also starring Marlon Brando and Jane Fonda but he had yet to appear with Paul Newman in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".


Paul Newman fresh from his success in "Hud" had just completed "The Moving Target" in which he appeared as a Private Investigator.



And the unforgettable film was to be "Dr Zhivago" starring Omar Shariff, Julie Christie, Tom Courtney and Geraldine Chaplain.



3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a trip down memory lane, Liz. I was in love with the utterly gorgeous David McCallum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh me too! Do you remember Sapphire and Steel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, with Joanne Lumley.

    ReplyDelete