On the Road Again #Nostalgia

We have just returned from a holiday on which we drove to Portugal through France and Spain.  In recent years we have flown away on holiday so this was a return to our roots.

Motoring along the fairly quiet French motorways and smaller roads listening to Best of Queen, Simon and Garfunkel and Elton John took us back to holidays in the 70s, 80s and 90s.



My husband took me camping for the first time in the sweltering summer of 1976 so of course I was sold on how wonderful it is to sleep in a tent on dry balmy nights.  We bought a tent called an igloo, with rubber tubes at the corners inflated by a foot pump and managed to cram all we needed into our small MG Midget.



But then he took me to Wales.  For a week in Bala followed by a week in Brecon it rained non-stop.  It was time to buy a very slightly bigger car and a trailer tent.  By this time we had two children and they loved the freedom of camping too.



After an August holiday by Loch Lomond, when we found frost on the tent at night, we moved on to a VW camper.  Now we were kings of the road, driving to Switzerland, Germany, Holland and all over France with our own cooker, sink and a bracket on the side of the roof for the windsurfer.

 These days we drive to hotels but there is nothing like the freedom of the open road.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful!!!! Love this post - would have liked more pics of you in the 70s and 80s, ha ha! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the picks, but hell would freeze over before you got me in a tent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew someone would say that. Actually the worst thing is camping with a class of 10 year olds who keep you awake all night.

      Delete
  3. Love the pics. My first - and last - attempt at camping involved an igloo tent whcih exploded as a result of over-zealous foot pumping by husband. The people on the next pitch kindly offered to let us stay with them but as it was a two-man tent we declined and found a B&B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I've heard of that happening. They could also deflate for lack of air but they were good for staying up in a bad storm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this post through Twitter, I think... Love the pics, especially the MG!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Barbara, it was a lovely car to drive, when my husband let me!

    ReplyDelete