ONE LOVELY BLOG


I've been nominated for the ONE LOVELY BLOG award by talented author and stimulating blogger Terry Tyler. You can find her post here 

Here are the rules for the One Lovely Blog Award:

• Thank the person that nominated you and link back to that blog. 
• Share seven things about yourself – see below.
• Nominate 15 bloggers you admire – also listed below.
• Contact your bloggers to let them know you've tagged them for the ONE LOVELY BLOG AWARD 
If I've nominated your blog, please don't feel under any obligation to join in.  I am just pleased to recommend your blog here.

So at the risk of boring you, here are 7 things about me:-

I have always been a book worm and after over 30 years running a junior school library I am especially fond of authors like Rosemary Sutcliff, Joan Aiken and Philip Reeve. These days I am actually moving from Young Adult books into adult books but I may revert! 

 History has always been very important to me. I taught Tudor history for many years but my particular interest is Victorian London, where my barge building and lightermen ancestors lived.



 I am a volunteer researcher for St Luke’s Hospital Heritage Project and we have established an exhibition and a bank of artefacts and digital resources in the old Casual Ward of Guildford Workhouse.  I love finding out about the lives of individual workhouse inmates, nurses in the War Hospital and what happened to the workhouse children who were sent to a new life in Canada. You can read about our project here:-

 I have been researching my family history since 1998.  While searching for ancestors in Scotland, Ireland, East Anglia, Berkshire and south London I have discovered distant cousins in the United States, Canada, Australia and South Africa, some of whom have become good friends.


The Far East is a special place for me.  I lived in Singapore for 3 years in my late teens and have revisited twice in recent years.  The changes have been dramatic but it is still a place of sunshine and flowers with a blend of customs from many cultures.  I first visited Hong Kong in 1967 and returned several times when my husband was working there.  It really is the city that never sleeps and is so exciting and vibrant.


Sunshine and the sea are a necessary part of life so my husband and I travel to the Algarve for a few days most months.  We have started Portuguese lessons and although reading with understanding is becoming much easier, speaking and understanding spoken Portuguese is much more difficult!

 

My guilty secret is my daily dose of Home & Away.  I would love to visit Summer Bay and meet those River Boys.

Here are my 15 blog recommendations:-

3 comments:

  1. Aha! This just popped up in my RSS feed, whatever that means - it just tells me I have stuff to read! Anyway, lovely to learn more about you - and the Home and Away bit made me laugh! I really like how this blog tagging thing spreads far and wide - I've only heard of ONE of the blogs on your list of 15, and I suspect that, as we have some of the same interests, I shall enjoy looking at them as much as you do. So pleased you've taken part x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you will enjoy many of my recommendations, but will you start watching Home & Away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha!!! All I remember about it is about 20 years ago hearing a chap I knew asking his mate if he'd ever watched it because there was some really hot teenage girls in it :) But I do watch Corrie (though it's getting too bad to watch lately!) and LOVE stuff like Nashville and Dallas!

      Delete